Quinoa is a very healthy whole grain and is packed with nutrients. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8g of protein, which is equivalent to the amount of protein from 1 egg. Quinoa is also high in fibre which makes it healthy for the heart, the gut and helpful for blood pressure. The next time you want to make a tasty and guilt-free meal, consider this quick and easy recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups quinoa
- 1/2 peeled English cucumber
- 1 pepper (yellow, red or orange)
- 3 stalks of green onion
- 2 stalks of parsley
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cloves of garlic
- Add quinoa to 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Chop all vegetables finely, except cherry tomatoes and garlic.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves if large or quarters if small.
- Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar and then press 1 cloves of garlic into the mixture. This will be the dressing.
- Mix cooked quinoa with raw vegetables and add dressing.
- Serves 5. Serve warm or cold. 15 minute prep time, 25 minute cook time.
As Part Of A Meal
Quinoa salad can be eaten on its own as a vegetarian option or with a small serving of chicken for the omnivores out there. Chick peas are a good vegetarian source of protein which can be added to the salad in place of chicken. Considering that all of the ingredients in this salad are quite healthy, including the quinoa, vegetables and olive oil, it is good recipe to work into your diet on a regular basis. This is also a gluten-free option for people with problems with gluten.